U.S. Election Assistance Commission recognizes county excellence in 2022 Clearinghouse Awards
On May 23, the U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC) announced the winners of its 2022 Clearinghouse (“Clearie”) awards, recognizing 24 jurisdictions for its election administration practices during the 2022 primary and midterm elections. Of the 24 winners, 17 county election departments were recognized across the program’s eight categories and 15 county election offices were recognized as honorable mentions. A list of the county recipients and their programs can be found below, and a full list of awardees is available here.
The nation’s 3,069 counties traditionally administer and fund elections at the local level, including overseeing polling places and coordinating poll workers for federal, state and local elections. NACo congratulates all of the 2022 “Clearie” winners.
2022 Clearinghouse Awardees
Outstanding Use of HAVA Grants in Elections Modernization
- Maricopa County, Ariz. – Ballot Tabulation Center Security Upgrades
Outstanding Election Official State Association Program or Local Office
- Seminole County, Fla. – Informing Voters with Facebook Voting Alerts
Outstanding Innovation in Election Cybersecurity and Technology
- Anne Arundel County, Md. – Mail-in Ballot Sorting, Scanning and Timestamping Project
Improving Accessibility for Voters with Disabilities
- Dubuque County, Iowa – Strategic Partnership with Dubuque County Disabilities Council
- Franklin County, Ohio – Voting with Ease; Increased Accessibility in the Early Vote Center
Outstanding Innovations in Elections – Large Jurisdictions
- Duval County/City of Jacksonville, Fla. – Innovative Strategies in Voter Education Messaging and Poll Worker Recruitment
- Hillsborough County, Fla. – Election Night Unofficial Results Application
- Palm Beach County, Fla. – Promoting Effectualness by Minimizing Lines and Wait Times: First County in the Country to Use the No Wait Inside Appointment System for Elections
- St. Louis County, Mo. – Love Your Ballot Educational Campaign
- Hamilton County, Ohio – Behind the Ballot Tours
Outstanding Innovations in Elections – Small/Medium Jurisdictions
- Brevard County, Fla. – SigView
- Paulding County, Ga. – Voter Education Guide
- Douglas County, Kan. – RFID Technology in Election Management
- Durham County, N.C. – BOE Poll Count and Audit Application
Best Practices in Recruiting, Retaining and Training Poll Working
- Columbia County, Fla. – Bubble It In!
- Martin County, Fla. – Sensitivity Training for Elections Worker!
- Charleston County, S.C. – Partnerships at the Polls
- Maricopa County, Ariz. – Voter Outreach Program
- Contra Costa County, Calif. – Certified Election Observer Program
- San Benito County, Calif. – Ride-Along Program
- Hillsborough County, Fla. – Poll Worker Services and Training Application
- Leon County, Fla. – Election Worker Tablet Program
- Nassau County, Fla. – Vote Nassau FL Mobile App
- Palm Beach County, Fla. – Local Palm Beach County Schools Participate in the Supervisor of Elections' Sticker Contest & Using the ES&S Accessible ExpressVote Machine as the Primary Marking Device for Early Voting
- St. Louis County, Mo. – Four Tech Tool to Enhance Election Operations and Security
- Santa Fe County, N.M. – Going Above and Beyond: ADA Compliance and Accessibility
- Franklin County, Ohio – From Voting to Voting Location Manager
- Allegheny County, Pa. – Pre-Canvassing Precision
- Nashville/Davidson County, Tenn. – A Better Way to Manage Poll Workers
- Travis County, Texas – Travis County's First "I Voted" Sticker Design Contest
- Cache County, Utah – New Ballot Processing Center
- King County, Wash. – Ballot Alerts
Reps. Katie Porter, Nancy Mace, Kweisi Mfume, Byron Donalds, Gerry Connolly, Brian Fitzpatrick, Eleanor Holmes Norton and Juan Ciscomani re-introduced the bipartisan Vote by Mail Tracking Act to increase transparency of and confidence in mail-in ballots.
Watch this week's County Countdown for the latest federal advocacy updates on topics related to counties and the intergovernmental partnership.
The county role in elections remains critical as U.S. commemorates National Poll Worker Recruitment Day
August 23, 2023 is National Poll Worker Recruitment Day that serves as a day of action to encourage Americans to sign up as poll workers