On April 12, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the opening of the application period for eight FY 2019 DHS preparedness grant programs totaling more than $1.7 billion. These grants support state, local and tribal governments in preparing for and responding to major natural disasters and other emergencies. The deadline for applications is May 29, 2019.
Of the $1.7 billion made available, funding levels for grants utilized by counties include:
- $350 million for Emergency Management Performance Grants (EMPG) – EMPG funds local programs to build and maintain core infrastructure needed to protect, mitigate and recover from disasters.
- $415 million for the State Homeland Security Grant Program – This program assists state, local and tribal efforts to prevent acts of terrorism and prepare to respond to threats and hazards that pose security risks for localities.
- $590 million for the Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) – UASI is utilized by high-density metropolitan areas to build and maintain our capability protect, prevent and respond to security threats.
- $90 million for Operation Stonegarden – Funding for Operation Stonegarden is used to enhance cooperation and coordination among the Customs and Border Protection (CBP), U.S. Border Patrol (USPB) and local, state and federal agencies.
- $100 million for the Port Security Grant Program (PSGP) – Port security grants help to protect port infrastructure from acts of terrorism and facilitate security mitigation protocols that support port recovery and resiliency.
- $88 million for Transit Security Grant Program (TSGP) – Transit security grants provide funding for the protection and maintenance of critical surface transportation and public transit routes.
DHS’s Office of Partnership and Engagement will hold an educational webinar on Wednesday, April 17 at 2:00 pm (EDT) to discuss the grant program roll out and to answer questions. Access to the webinar can be found by clicking here.
For more information on the grants and to access the application portal, please click here.