Celebrate County Health Day on April 19, 2023
Please join the National Association of Counties (NACo) in celebrating County Health Day on Wednesday, April 19! This day, which falls during National County Government Month, is an opportunity to showcase the important work that our counties do to support our communities’ health and well-being.
This year, we encourage counties to share examples of innovative programs and local partnerships working to address pressing public health issues, particularly those that fall under the 2022-2023 Healthy Counties Advisory Board Priorities:
- Advancing and Measuring Progress Towards Health Equity
- Addressing the Social Determinants of Health
- Reducing Disparities in Maternal Morbidity and Mortality
- Promoting Mental Health as Public Health
Together we can celebrate county progress and achievements to improve community health.
How can county leaders participate?
Join the webinar with County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
We hope you will join us for a webinar with County Health Rankings and Roadmaps (CHR&R) from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, April 19. CHR&R will share their recent 2023 Rankings report and the key takeaways revealed. This webinar will provide important information about the newly released 2023 Rankings and how counties can leverage these findings to influence decision-making to improve community health.
Register for the webinar here.
SHOW #COUNTYHEALTH IN ACTION
Throughout the day, use your social media platforms to share links to publications, photos, program descriptions and stories that capture the impact of innovative public health programs in your community. Connect with counties across the country on Facebook and Twitter by using #CountyHealth to join the conversation.
USE NACO’s SAMPLE SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS AND GRAPHICS
Highlighting County Programs
The social determinants of health are the conditions in which we live, work, and play that impact our health. Our [PROGRAM NAME} works to address [SOCIAL DETERMINANT OF HEALTH NAME] in [COUNTY NAME]’s efforts to improve community health [INSERT PHOTO OR LINK TO PROGRAM] #CountyHealth
Celebrate Partnerships and County Employees
Thanks to our partner [TAG PARTNER ORGANIZATION] for their support in addressing [INSERT PUBLIC HEALTH TOPIC OF INTEREST] in [COUNTY NAME]! Learn more about our work together [ADD LINK TO PROGRAM/PARTNER PAGE] #CountyHealth
[NAME OF COUNTY EMPLOYEE] is a champion of improving public health in [COUNTY NAME]. [INSERT SPECIFIC INFORMATION OF EMPLOYEE'S PUBLIC HEALTH WORK/ACHIEVEMENTS] Thank you for your service! #CountyHealth
Download Social Media Graphics
Download more than a dozen unique social media graphics to share on your channels.
CREATE YOUR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS
If you’d like to create your own social media posts, here are a few ideas to help you get started in thinking about what to share on social media on County Health Day. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #CountyHealth in your posts.
- Share how your county is working to address one of the Healthy Counties Priority Areas:
- Advancing and Measuring Progress Towards Health Equity,
- Addressing the Social Determinants of Health,
- Reducing Disparities in Maternal Morbidity and Mortality, and
- Promoting Mental Health as Public Health
Feature your county’s programs and initiatives in any of these areas, as well as any other innovative interventions you are building.
- Show how you are continuing to use funds from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) to support health. Share how your county is utilizing ARPA Fiscal Recovery Funds to strengthen community health.
- Highlight community partnerships. Our work in public health would not be possible without incredible partners, who support county work in many ways including funding, providing volunteers or expanding networks. Tag your community partners to highlight the importance of your partnership in achieving your public health goals.
- Share available county resources. Has your county released any publications related to public health recently (e.g., community needs assessment, impact report, etc.)? Are there any underutilized public health services provided by the county you want to spread awareness for? Share links to publications and/or information about available health services on this day.
- Thank county health employees. Celebrate the efforts of county employees to drive improvements to public health and well-being. Identify key health leaders or champions in your county and thank them on social media to acknowledge the importance of their work.
For questions about #CountyHealth Day, contact Ashley Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On November 13, members of NACo's Commission on Mental Health and Wellbeing sent a letter to the U.S. Senate Committees on Finance and Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. The Commission called on Congress to support counties in delivering high-quality, assessible mental health services to address residents' comprehensive behavioral health needs in any mental health legislation package.
Senators launch the Bipartisan Mental Health Caucus, a promising partner for NACo's Commission on Mental Health and Wellbeing in advancing crucial mental health policy.
NACo submits comments on the proposed Mental Health Parity rule, championing mental health coverage, supporting fair treatment limits and robust data collection and requesting consideration of county health plan administration.