New Resource: The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) includes billions of dollars in direct aid to state and local governments. Read the PDF for 40+ ways for state and local governments to get ready, get going, and get results.
How the EY Government & Public Sector can help your organization build a better working world
We are living in a transformative age. Rapidly advancing technology, globalization, the rise of the emerging markets, and shifting demographics are changing business and society faster than ever.
Local governments and not-for-profit organizations are continually seeking innovative answers to complex challenges. They are striving to provide better services at lower costs and to create sustainable economic development, a safe environment, more transparency and increased accountability. EY combines private sector leading practices with an understanding of the public sector’s diverse needs, focusing on building organizations’ capabilities to deliver improved public services. Drawing on many years of experience, we can work with you to help strengthen your organization and achieve lasting improvements. Our Government & Public Sector brings together teams of highly skilled professionals from our assurance, consulting, strategy, tax and transaction services. We are inspired by a deep commitment to help you meet your goals and enhance public value, for today and tomorrow.
From strategy to execution, we help our clients implement new ideas to achieve their missions and:
- Protect our Nation and increasing public safety
- Improving healthcare for all our residents
- Delivering essential public services and helping those in need
- Enhance the Government’s financial efficiency and compliance
How EY can help local governments
The economic and fiscal impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic are unique to all local governments. Overall, revenues have fallen less than initially predicted, but nearly all jurisdictions have suffered some degree of job loss, business closures, and budget shortfalls. A new round of federal relief promises stability and equal opportunity for the near term. The future remains uncertain, regarding the pace of recovery, what remote work will mean for real estate values, whether some jobs will ever come back, and much more.
Local leaders want to recover better than before. Although “better” may have different meanings between jurisdictions, there are common themes: a sustainable fiscal path forward, a revitalized economy ready for a changing world, and a commitment to equity.
We are helping local governments manage the COVID-19 crisis today. EY's unmatched capabilities will help local governments take on the challenges ahead and shape the future.
- Strategic evaluation of COVID-19 funding opportunities and federal funds maximization prioritization (ARP)
- Advisory support to target improvements in education, infrastructure, transit, technology, government operations, public health services, and both economic and workforce development
- Project management support
- Support for integrated program and grants management systems
- Oversight and compliance
Strategic Planning and Budgeting
- Development of priority goals and key indicators
- Strategic planning that approaches the root causes of problems, discovers opportunities and guides budget decisions
- Implementation of performance-based budget processes that align to strategic goals and promote equity
- Evaluation of every service based on its alignment with priorities and performance in delivering results
- Design of public engagement that gives stakeholders a voice in the real choices and tradeoffs facing elected officials
- Crafting of communication and negotiation strategies
Financial Planning & Management
- Current and historical review and benchmarking
- Formulation of long-term fiscal plans and scenario analyses
- Development of financial projections and budgets aligning with cash flow
- Bottom-up financial assessments at the departmental level
- Analysis of structural deficits and identification of drivers
- Enterprise fund management
- Evaluation of risks and opportunities
Transformation and Innovation
- Operational improvements through business process review, customer-focused design and technology enablement
- Smart city solutions to turn data into outcomes
- Cutting-edge economic development and infrastructure strategies
- Change management support
- Partnership that builds in-house capacity to innovate and execute