The National Association of Counties (NACo) has an opening for a Staff Accountant II. Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Staff Accountant is responsible for carrying out general accounting duties efficiently and accurately, and for contributing to overall effectiveness of the accounting department at NACo. This position is responsible for accountability of all accounts receivable components, membership dues/sponsor revenues, general ledger processes, related account reconciliations, and accounts payable.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Input of all cash deposits to ensure timely postings to the general ledger (this includes reviewing cash daily to ensure all lockboxes, daily deposits, wires, ACH payments, web payments have been received and recorded). Ensure receipts are properly posted.
- Review all open batches, close and import them into Intacct.
- Reconcile all credit card payments/refunds in Intacct system with Dynamics by Microsoft.
- Process customer requests for refunds in a timely manner.
- Review invoices for accuracy and approval.
- Follow up on rejected invoices, and those that are still outstanding after 2 weeks. Ensure contracts are signed by both parties and complete in finance’s files before pushing forward for payment.
- Process ACH and check payments weekly for all entities of the organization.
- Create invoices for revenue sources including PFA, PEB, PDA, Revenue Recovery, OMNIA, 3+1, and other lines of business. Provide report of outstanding accounts at the end of the month.
- Follow up on requests for W9 and ACH information.
- Reconcile membership, conference registration, exhibitors, sponsorships, and other revenues from NetForum or outside schedules to revenue recognized on the financial statements.
- Perform month end reconciliation of Lagrange bank statement after processing Corcoran/Exhibit report. Ensure all deposits are recorded, and the NetForum report ties to the GL.
- Prepare affiliate chargeback invoices monthly.
- Process credit card statements for employees. Ensure in compliance with the NACo policy and properly approved by the employee’s supervisor.
- Reconcile the subsidiary ledgers for both accounts receivable and accounts payable to the GL control account. Follow up and resolve any discrepancies.
- Reconcile balance sheet GL accounts monthly including petty cash, trade AR, AR Meetings, AR affiliates, AR accrued, AR clearing other, AP, Mastercard payment, accrued expenses, refunds due, deferred dues, deferred public lands and other deferred revenues.
- Ensure all year-end audit duties and reconciliations are met within the timeframe outlined in the year end planning document for all entities.
- Review all affiliate contracts to ensure proper billings.
- Assist with the maintenance of a well-organized and efficiently operating accounting department.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with (5) years related work experience.
- Ability to use profession standards in the correct application of accounting rules.
- Thorough familiarity with Microsoft office applications, accounting software systems, and Adaptive Insights budgeting software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with non-profit accounting a plus
- Hybrid Work Schedule
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, salary requirements and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NACo is an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.