The National Association of Counties (NACo), a prominent non-profit in Washington, D.C., is the only organization that supports our nations’ counties’ elected officials through policy and advocacy work.
The Research Analyst in NACo’s Counties Futures Lab helps with report writing, data collection, data analysis and other research duties. The position requires proactive and timely management of multiple ongoing projects in collaboration with NACo colleagues, as well as analytical, organizational, and writing skills. The analyst reports to the Associate Research Director.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Authoring NACo research reports and articles, as well as contributing to research projects authored by other team members.
- Analyzing county level datasets for NACo research products, including County Explorer, individualized profiles, reports, and other research requests.
- Collecting and organizing information for NACo research products from interviews with county leaders, state statutes and other sources.
- Supporting the development of surveys in Qualtrics and other data collection methods.
- Developing engaging data visualizations to supplement and enhance research products in collaboration with the NACo design team.
- Responding to requests for information, data, and technical assistance from NACo members, county officials, county staff, academia, NACo staff and other interested parties.
- Assisting team members and assigned NACo staff on reports and other NACo projects.
- Providing administrative and logistical support within the research team.
- Supervising interns on projects as assigned.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Strong analytical, writing and editing skills.
- An eye for detail, strong organizational skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- A demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively and to work cooperatively with elected officials, local government staff, coworkers, and the public.
- Ability to create persuasive narratives and effective data visualizations for non-technical audiences in collaboration with research team.
- A strong work ethic, a commitment to constituent service, sensitivity, and tact in dealing with others.
- Proficiency with a statistical software package (such as STATA, R or Python) preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of county/local government structure and issues preferred, but not required.
Working at NACo
Employees of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits. Benefits include comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance coverage; paid holidays and leave; tuition reimbursement; group life insurance, 401(k) match and pension plans, credit union membership; and short-term/long-term disability coverage.
NACo and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Persons interested in this position should submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.