The National Association of Counties (NACo) announces an opening for a Program Associate.
This entry-level position offers the opportunity to learn about membership organizations, county government and the intergovernmental system as you contribute to NACo’s efforts to foster educational and networking opportunities and produce high quality research for and about counties. We are currently recruiting a program associate to support projects that involve economic development and opportunity.
The position is approved for a term of 12 months and dependent on the availability of project-based outside funding.
Position Responsibilities and Activities
- Actively support the development of NACo initiatives in written materials, conference calls, national webinars, small group convenings and national conferences.
- Assist in developing quality information and guidance to county government officials on emerging issues relevant to county needs and interests.
- Assist in drafting, formatting and posting program resources including webinars, toolkits, news articles and blog posts for national dissemination through NACo’s website and creation and maintenance of contact lists.
- Support formatting, online posting and disseminating materials for in-person and virtual events, announcements and County News articles.
- Assist in the development of focus group and listening session materials and support logistics for these events. Host county-level listening session and distill key themes across sessions.
- Help develop and support the day-to-day quality and completion of project deliverables and progress reports under the guidance and direction of the Director, Programs and Operations, as well as portfolio team leads.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director, Programs and Operations and Counties Futures Lab leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Internship experience and/or up to 2 years’ full-time experience in relevant field, such as public policy, communications, government, nonprofit sector, associations; coursework or demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience in local government is a plus.
- Commitment and passion for mission-driven work and improving the lives of communities, including a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects without compromising quality or timely delivery; strong project management skills and experience preferred.
- Ability to work well in a political environment while maintaining non-partisan perspective.
- Brings collaboration, innovative ideas and creativity to the position and work products; works well under pressure and as part of a team and with external partners.
- In office requirements, with some hybrid work flexibility
- Some travel required, estimated at four to six trips a year
NACo is committed to providing excellent customer service and creating quality experiences for our stakeholders. If you are creative, energetic and passionate, please send a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to email@example.com.
Why Work at NACo
Our vision is healthy, safe, and vibrant counties across America. Counties play an integral part of the intergovernmental responsibilities among federal, state, local and tribal government officials. We are guided by the belief that stronger counties result in a stronger America.
NACo is committed to fostering a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. We embrace and respect our diversity of experience, heritage, and thought and strive to cultivate an equitable workplace. As outlined in our Values and NACo Norms, we pursue our mission through a ONE NACo mindset of genuine care, empathy, and respect for each other, our partners, and our members.
Teammates of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits, including comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays; transportation subsidy; tuition assistance; 401(k) match, pension plans, group life insurance, voluntary payroll deduction for pet insurance and credit union membership, and short/long term disability coverage including applicable parental leave and Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We are passionate about advancing excellence in public service to help people and places thrive across America
Join us as we advance excellence in public service to help our local communities thrive.