The National Association of Counties (NACo), representing America’s 3,069 county governments with 40,000 elected officials, 3.6 million county employees and more than $660 billion in annual community-based investments, seeks a Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist.
The Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for managing and processing payroll for all employees and ensuring that all accounts payable transactions are accurately recorded and paid in a timely manner. This role requires a high level of attention to detail and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Position Responsibilities and Activities
- Process payroll in accordance with NACo’s pay schedule, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of all data
- Process new hires, terminations, adjust deductions, create manual checks as necessary, review W-2’s and quarterly tax reports for accuracy
- Process all vendor and employee expense payments via check or ACH using the accounts payable system
- Ensure appropriate approvals and interact with vendors and employees to obtain required documentation
- Complete sales and use tax reporting and maintain documentation for Form 1099 reporting. Take complete ownership of both major processes
- Interact with internal and external auditors when necessary
- Assist with audits as needed, including gathering documentation and responding to auditor inquiries
- Assist with other accounting and finance tasks as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field preferred
- 2+ years of experience in payroll and accounts payable processing
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations related to payroll and accounts payable
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency in payroll technology systems preferred (such as ADP)
- Hybrid Work Schedule: with a requirement of two days in the office to collaborate
- Travel: Occasional travel required for attendance at NACo conferences a few times throughout the year
Persons interested in this position should submit a resume with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Work at NACo
Our vision is healthy, safe, and vibrant counties across America. Counties play an integral part of the intergovernmental responsibilities among federal, state, local and tribal government officials. We are guided by the belief that stronger counties result in a stronger America.
NACo is committed to fostering a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Teammates of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits, including comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays; transportation subsidy; tuition assistance; 401(k) match, pension plans, group life insurance, pet insurance, credit union membership, and short/long term disability coverage including applicable parental leave and Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We are passionate about advancing excellence in public service to help people and places thrive across America. We embrace and respect our diversity of experience, heritage, and thought and strive to cultivate an equitable workplace. As outlined in our Values and NACo Norms, we pursue our mission through a ONE NACo mindset of genuine care, empathy, and respect for each other, our partners, and our members.
Join us as we advance excellence in public service to help our local communities thrive.