The National Association of Counties (NACo), a nonprofit in Washington, D.C., is the only organization that supports our nations’ counties’ elected officials through policy and advocacy work. NACo is seeking candidates for a Transportation and Environment, Energy and Land Use Legislative Assistant position for our Government Affairs department.
Ideal candidates will have experience on Capitol Hill as a Legislative Correspondent or in a similar position and thrive in a political environment designed to advance a strategic and nonpartisan approach toward advancing the NACo agenda. Candidates should have a strong understanding of and interest in the U.S. political system, including local and regional government. NACo is a friendly, fast-paced work environment with a bipartisan, mission-driven team.
Position Responsibilities and Activities
- Supporting Legislative and Associate Legislative Directors in their written work and meetings
- Assisting with written department-wide products and analysis
- Performing legislative research on issues important to county governments and county elected officials as they relate to transportation, environmental and energy policy
- Assisting in tasks associated with the preparation and execution of major conferences and meetings—including legislative fact sheets, policy analysis and other various tasks as assigned
- Assisting in scheduling appointments and set up meetings
- Performing various other duties that may be assigned from time to time based on the needs of the government affairs department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Solid understanding of the federal government
- Interest or previous experience in transportation, environmental and energy policy
- Detail oriented, organized and able to multi-task while meeting several deadlines
- Able to work well under pressure
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Hybrid Work Schedule: Available based on job performance and work projects
- Some travel is required
Persons interested in this position should submit a resume with cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Work at NACo
Our vision is healthy, safe and vibrant counties across America. Counties play an integral part of the intergovernmental responsibilities. We are guided by the belief that stronger counties result in a stronger America. Join us as we advance excellence in public service to help people and places thrive.
NACo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Employees of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits. Benefits include comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays; transportation subsidy; tuition assistance; 401(k) match, pension plans, group life insurance, voluntary payroll deductions for pet insurance, and credit union membership pet insurance, credit union membership and short/long term disability coverage including applicable parental leave and Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We are passionate about advancing excellence in public service to help people and places thrive across America. We embrace and respect our diversity of experience, heritage, and thought and strive to cultivate.