The National Association of Counties (NACo) announces an opening for a Legislative Assistant for Transportation and Environment, Energy and Land Use.
This position focuses on analyzing legislation and regulatory activities, as well as administrative duties associated with preparing for and conducting meetings and educational sessions held in conjunction with NACo conferences. In this role, you will gain valuable exposure to lobbying strategies and perform supportive administrative duties such as providing answers, both oral and written, to membership inquiries on legislative matters.
Ideal candidates will have experience on Capitol Hill as a Staff Assistant, Legislative Correspondent or in a similar position, and thrive in a nonpartisan environment focused on advancing the NACo agenda. Candidates should have a strong understanding of and interest in the U.S. political system, including local governments. NACo is a friendly, fast-paced work environment with a bipartisan, mission-driven team.
Position Responsibilities and Activities
- Supporting Legislative and Associate Legislative Directors in their written work and meetings
- Assisting with written department-wide products and analysis
- Performing legislative research on issues important to county governments and county elected officials as they relate to transportation, environmental and energy policy
- Assisting in tasks associated with the preparation and execution of major conferences and meetings—including legislative fact sheets, policy analysis and other various tasks as assigned
- Assisting in scheduling appointments and set up meetings
- Performing various other duties that may be assigned from time to time based on the needs of the government affairs department.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Solid understanding of the federal government
- Interest or previous experience in transportation, environment and energy policy
- Detail oriented, organized and able to multi-task while meeting several deadlines
- Able to work well under pressure
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Why Work at NACo
Our vision is having healthy, safe and vibrant counties across America. Counties play an integral part of the intergovernmental responsibilities. We are guided by the belief that stronger counties result in a stronger America. Join us as we advance excellence in public service to help people and places thrive.
Employees of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits. Benefits include comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays; transportation subsidy, tuition assistance; group life insurance, 401(k) match and pension plans, pet insurance, credit union membership; and short-term/long-term disability coverage including applicable parental leave.
NACo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.