The National Association of Counties (NACo), representing America’s 3,069 county governments with 40,000 elected officials, 3.6 million county employees and more than $660 billion in annual investments, seeks a Human Resources Officer.
Under the supervision and in conjunction with the Chief Administrative Officer, the Human Resources Officer provides a wide variety of both complex and routine services including full onboarding, development and training, policy employee handbook updates, documentation, performance management and labor law compliance.
Position Responsibilities and Activities
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all personnel
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Prepares and maintains employee handbook
- Administers compensation program
- Monitors performance evaluation program
- Oversees onboarding process
- Develops and monitors career-paths
- Maintains org chart
- Collects data and prepares reports relating to HR activities
- Benchmarks positions against market to ensure competitive compensation
- Coordinates training and development, skills assessment
- Assists with various research projects and/or special projects
- Assists with compliance and applicable employment and labor regulations
- Assists with producing relevant metrics and reports including demographics, turnover, exit interview, etc.
- Coordinates implementation and maintenance of Performance Management online system
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Solid HR background with an understanding of performance evaluations and labor relations
- Staff development experience
- Knowledge of federal and local labor laws
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience investigating matters and making recommendations based on findings.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels and backgrounds.
- Proficient with HRIS and Microsoft Office Suite
- Hybrid Work Schedule: with a requirement of two days in the office to collaborate
- Travel: Minimum travel requirement
NACo is committed to providing excellent customer service and creating quality experiences for our stakeholders. If you are creative, energetic and passionate, please send a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Work at NACo
Our vision is healthy, safe, and vibrant counties across America. Counties play an integral part of the intergovernmental responsibilities among federal, state, local and tribal government officials. We are guided by the belief that stronger counties result in a stronger America.
NACo is committed to fostering a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Teammates of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits, including comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays; transportation subsidy; tuition assistance; 401(k) match, pension plans, group life insurance, pet insurance, credit union membership, and short/long term disability coverage including applicable parental leave and Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We are passionate about advancing excellence in public service to help people and places thrive across America. We embrace and respect our diversity of experience, heritage, and thought and strive to cultivate an equitable workplace. As outlined in our Values and NACo Norms, we pursue our mission through a ONE NACo mindset of genuine care, empathy, and respect for each other, our partners, and our members.
Join us as we advance excellence in public service to help our local communities thrive.