The National Association of Counties is seeking candidates for its Internship Program for our Legislative Affairs department. Under the direction of the Associate Legislative Directors, this position focuses on administrative duties associated with preparing for and conducting meetings and educational sessions held in conjunction with NACo conferences. In this role you will gain valuable exposure to lobbying strategies, perform supportive administrative duties such as providing answers, both oral and written, to membership inquiries on legislative matters.
Ideal candidates will thrive in a political environment designed to advance a strategic and nonpartisan approach toward advancing the NACo agenda. Intern candidates should have a strong understanding of and interest in the U.S. political system, including local and regional government. NACo is a friendly, fast-paced work environment with a bipartisan, mission-driven team.
- Achieved or actively pursuing a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the preferred fields of political science, economics, or related field.
- Background and/or interest in government affairs.
- A can-do attitude, the ability to handle multiple tasks, strong oral and written communication skills, and a keen eye for detail.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Assisting the Associate Legislative Directors with agenda preparation and other planning for national and regional conferences and workshops.
- Regular outreach to and communication with committees and county officials.
- Researching and identifying relevant legislative topics and issues.
- Support Associate Legislative Directors in performing general administrative aspects of the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Achieved or actively pursuing a bachelor’s degree from an established college or university;
- Ability to thrive in a political environment;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure;
- Knowledge of local government policies and practices;
- Ability to coordinate partnerships to achieve better services for counties;
- Prior Capitol Hill internship experience in government affairs or other fields plus;
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume and salary to email@example.com or go on line for more information at www.NACo.org.
NACo and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.