The National Association of Counties (NACo), representing America’s 3,069 county governments with 40,000 elected officials, 3.6 million county employees and more than $660 billion in annual community-based investments, seeks a Director of Finance. The Finance Director works with the CEO, finance committee, finance team, executive management team and program budget managers to analyze, manage, strategize, and enhance our financial position. This seasoned professional reports directly to the CEO/Executive, is a member of the executive management team, manages the Finance Department, and must be comfortable in a leadership role that requires strong technical skills, cross-department collaboration, and effective communication skills.
Objectives of this role
- Be impeccable steward of the association’s assets
- Secure and strengthen the association’s financial position, including through the 2030 Prosperity Initiative
- Lead and develop a highly functional and experienced team, and
- Achieve optimal financial health and performance across the association through a ONE NACo mindset.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Direct and oversees the association’s financial strategy, accounting, compliance and forecasting
- Work with CEO, executive management team and budget managers to efficiently develop and forecast budgets, provide access to necessary finance information, and ensure compliance and reporting
- Provide technical advice and knowledge to the CEO, leadership team and program managers
- Research revenue opportunities and economic trends, analyze internal operations, and identify areas for cost reduction and process enhancement
- Perform risk management through analysis of association liabilities and investments, and evaluate and manage assets, including cash, investment funds and pension funds accordingly
- Coordinate development, reporting and oversight of annual operating, capital, and program budgets
- Develop and implement best practices, policies and tools that advance strong fiscal management, project coordination, cross-team communications, and smart workflows across the association and its subsidiaries
- Comply with federal, state and local financial requirements, including staying current and taking appropriate action related to new and existing laws, policies and model practices
- Oversee payroll operations by coordinating with external service providers (ex: payroll, benefits, recruitment) and internal staff responsible for other aspects of payroll and benefits
- Manage finance personnel and ensure compliance with relevant regulatory entities
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of NACo’s strategic plans and programs
- Issue annual, monthly and periodic financial and operating reports on NACo’s financial position
- Oversee the Controller in providing and directing procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services
- Maintain detailed awareness of the financial affairs of NACo and ensures timely, accurate reporting of financial information for NACo, NACo Research Foundation and the NACo Financial Services Corporation
- Serves as staff liaison to NACo’s Finance Committee and other committees as assigned by the CEO
- Monitors the work performance of assigned staff and motivates to develop their skills and abilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ten years of financial and business experience or other related experience
- At least five years of experience in a managerial capacity
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or similar field
- C.P.A. certification or master’s degree in a related field preferred
- Experience with financial planning, managing profitability, strategic planning, vision, quality management, forecasting, corporate finance, and budget development
- Experience with program and benefit analysis regarding revenue production and operational efficiencies
- Knowledge of fiscal administration, accounting and budgeting policies and procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-133 audit
- Demonstrated leadership ability, sound judgement and integrity, team building and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, including excellent organizational and communication skills
- Understanding of advanced accounting and budgeting, regulatory issues, and tax planning
- Working knowledge of cash flow management and investment strategies
- Hybrid work schedule is available, with a requirement of two days in the office to collaborate
- Occasional travel is required for attendance at NACo conferences and events a few times each year
Persons interested in this position should submit a resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Why Work at NACo
Our vision is healthy, safe, and vibrant counties across America. Counties play an integral part of the intergovernmental responsibilities among federal, state, local and tribal government officials. We are guided by the belief that stronger counties result in a stronger America.
NACo is committed to fostering a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Teammates of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits, including comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays; transportation subsidy; tuition assistance; 401(k) match, pension plans, group life insurance, pet insurance, credit union membership, and short/long term disability coverage including applicable parental leave and Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We are passionate about advancing excellence in public service to help people and places thrive across America. We embrace and respect our diversity of experience, heritage, and thought and strive to cultivate an equitable workplace. As outlined in our Values and NACo Norms, we pursue our mission through a ONE NACo mindset of genuine care, empathy, and respect for each other, our partners, and our members.
Join us as we advance excellence in public service to help our local communities thrive.