COUNTY PROCUREMENT OFFICER
This position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates: Effective July 2, 2021 – 2.5% increase Effective July 1, 2022 – 3.0% increase Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates: Effective July 2, 2021 – 1.2% decrease Effective July 1, 2022 – 0.5% decrease Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open Eligible List to fill a current County Procurement Officer position. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower level classifications throughout the County of Orange.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
The recruitment will close on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (PST). Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
The County of Orange is a regional service provider and planning agency whose core businesses include public safety, public health, environmental protection, regional planning, public assistance, social services and aviation. Click here for more information.
COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICE
The County of Orange, County Executive Office (CEO) implements policies of the Board of Supervisors, supports County departments, oversees the County's infrastructure and real estate assets, prepares the annual County budget, and assists the public. County Executive Officer Frank Kim is the highest-ranking appointed executive in the County and works with members of the Board of Supervisors and their staff, elected and appointed department heads and the County's 18,000 employees to oversee the provision of essential government services through 22 departments. The County Executive Office is organized into six divisions: County Operations, Finance, Human Resource Services, Information Technology, Real Estate and Government & Community Relations, which includes Communications. The County Procurement Office is a part of the Finance division, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer.
The County Procurement Office is a division of the County Executive Office that provides corporate level procurement support to the County. The County Procurement Officer is responsible for implementing and enforcing Board of Supervisors and CEO policies pertaining to County procurement. Additional duties include, but are not limited to the following: - Fiscal management and compliance oversight of all contracts - Planning, directing, and evaluating the County’s procurement policies and programs - Ensuring the County’s process is fair, competitive, efficient, and conducted under strict ethical guidelines - Providing procurement support, training, and oversight Countywide - Providing guidance and delegating authority to Deputy Purchasing Agents The position requires flexibility to travel throughout Orange County and may occasionally attend evening and/or weekend meetings, as well as perform other related duties to the position as assigned.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of six (6) years of significant procurement experience related to the duties and responsibilities described above, with at least four (4) years in public sector procurement. The ideal candidate will also have knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations and standards pertaining to procurement, and be familiar with making Board policy-related decisions and recommendations to the executive team. Professional certifications such as a Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) and/or Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) from the Universal Public Purchasing Certification Council (UPPCC) is desirable, but not required. In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate job knowledge and related experience in the following core competencies:
TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE | TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
- Understanding of public sector purchasing and procurement policies, including the Contract Policy Manual, CAL-Card
- Policy & Procedures manual, government codes and/or state and federal laws as they relate to government procurement and contracting
- Overseeing activities of a public sector procurement department, including planning, managing, reviewing, completing, and administering complex agreements
- Utilizing County automated purchasing systems, business software and programs
- Recommending, interpreting, writing, and developing policy
- Developing internal operating procedures, as they relate to procurement operations within a public sector department
- Interpreting multiple policies and making appropriate recommendations inadherence with relevant procurement or contract policies
LEADERSHIP | SUPERVISORY SKILLS
- Fostering a collaborative approach across all service functions, capable of leading and building a team
- Leveraging and managing a robust team of staff in order to achieve operational goals
- Directing and overseeing staff assignments to achieve organizational goals
- Managing all aspects of the County's performance management system within established timeframes
- Developing, mentoring, and supporting staff members' learning and growth
- Thriving in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
RELATIONSHIP BUILDING SKILLS | INTERPERSONAL
- Utilizing tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality in dealing with difficult and sensitive situations
- Working effectively as part of a team to tackle and resolve issues; providing creative solutions to problems that achieve program and project objectives
- Building effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, County elected officials, and staff to ensure departmental goals are accomplished
- Adhering to high ethical standards in all interactions with relevant parties
JUDGMENT | PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS
- Integrating new ideas and contemporary approaches into problem solving
- Gathering, analyzing and applying information skillfully
- Identifying, evaluating, and resolving issues as they arise, using decision-making abilities and technical expertise
- Developing solutions, proposing solutions, achieving measurable results, and implementing best business practices
To apply, please go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/2841067-0/county-procurement-officer
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment. Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer) Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step. Structured Oral Interview | SOI (Weighted 100%) Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. Candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for the current vacancy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: EMAIL NOTIFICATION
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply. Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Joanne Li at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO INFORMATION: Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.