The National Association of Counties (NACo) announces an opening for a Conference Manager. The conference manager provides planning, logistical and administrative support for NACo’s conferences and events. This includes support for NACo’s two largest events – the Legislative (2,000 attendees) and Annual Conferences (3,000 attendees) – as well as a primary leadership role or secondary support role for a series of smaller events over the course of the year.
Position Responsibilities and Activities
Under the supervision of the Director of Conferences & Events, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing the signage and graphics production for both events, including working with external vendors and internal teams to create and design conference-wide graphics and signage
- Managing the website for both events, including updating session titles and descriptions, ensuring consistency with the overall program and the mobile application.
- Managing the mobile application for both conferences, including program updates and other promotional options within the app.
- Managing audio/visual needs for all sessions and offices at both conferences
- Managing room set needs for all sessions and offices at both conferences, including working with team members prior to the conference to determine needs and checking rooms on site to confirm set up.
- Managing NACo’s 40-50 affiliate organizations and state associations at both conferences as they request meetings during NACo’s conference and serving as a connection between them and the hotel to arrange their needs.
- Managing all aspects of offsite events and major receptions related to both conferences. This includes the management of vendors, preparation of contracts, selection of locations, and more.
- Managing housing, with NACo’s housing vendor, for both conferences. This includes creating an interactive tool for staff requesting housing, communicating needs and changes with the hotel and NACo’s housing vendor, managing availability and changes, and arranging VIP housing and other needs (including transportation and guest accommodations).
- Coordinating mobile tours at the Annual Conference, including transportation logistics, staff assignments, attendee caps, and the broader attendee experience.
- Managing all vendor needs not covered by the other conferences manager for both events. This would include security, transportation and busing, EMTs, décor, foliage, and others as assigned
- Managing the preparation and on-site execution of all food and beverage needs for all-conference events
- Managing county volunteers and staffing assignments for both conferences.
- Travel required
In addition to the two major conferences, the Conference Manager will also have the following responsibilities:
- Primary planning lead for a series of smaller NACo events: These events range from 30 to 200 participants. The Conference Manager works with the content lead for the event to plan logistics for all aspects of the event. This responsibility would include roughly 8-10 small and mid-size events each year, many of which would require travel for the event and/or a site visit prior to the event.
- Management of forms and events related to all NACo meetings, including staff surveys, attendee surveys, the Microsoft Teams sites used for each conference, and more.
- Responsible for management and updating of meetings within the NACo Events Matrix that are assigned to the Conferences Manager.
- Management of any expenses accrued across events, including timely management of invoices and receipts as part of the Conferences department credit card and budget.
- Other duties as assigned, potentially including management of NACo’s exhibit hall and NACo’s first floor conference center.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of association or not-for-profit meetings coordination and management
- Minimum 5 years of meeting planning/convention experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Careful organizational skills
- Experience interacting with elected officials or working in a political environment a plus
- Experience in exhibition, sales and trade show management
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Highly self-motivated and ability to work well in a team environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
NACo is committed to providing excellent customer service and creating quality experiences for our stakeholders. If you are creative, energetic and passionate, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include salary expectations.
Employees of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits. Benefits include comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance; generous paid leave and federal holidays, transportation subsidy, tuition assistance, group life insurance, 401(k) match, pension plans, pet insurance, credit union membership, short/long term disability coverage including applicable parental leave and Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
NACo is an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.