Executive Director Topeka, Kansas
The Kansas Association of Counties (KAC) is seeking a full-time professional Executive Director to lead our organization. The KAC is a quasi-public agency which seeks to advance the public interest by promoting effective, responsive county government in Kansas. Founded in 1975 as an instrumentality of its member counties, the Association serves county governments through legislative representation, technical assistance, leadership and professional education. Under the policy guidance and direction of the KAC Governing Body, this position provides the implementation of KAC’s mission and the management of KAC’s operations. The Executive Director plans, develops, implements and directs organizational policies and procedures, programs, services, human resources and finances.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Executive Director advocates on behalf of the membership and is expected to represent the Association with integrity when dealing with Association members, the State Legislature, the Governor, other public interest groups and the general public.
• Provide the Board with pertinent information to help it reach sound decisions and establish policies.
• Develop for adoption by the Board of Directors an annual program plan containing activities, priorities, actions, budgets and staffing for the Association.
• Assists with the Association’s communication strategies and media and public information activities to help convey timely, in depth analysis and background information of KAC positions and issues of interest to counties. Act as liaison with media, State Legislature and the general public.
• Ensures development of the organization’s financial, administrative, technical and human resources capacities to accomplish the organization’s mission and goals
• Ensures the financial integrity of the organization through sound financial management practices, administration, fundraising, investment management and budgeting which includes directing the day-to-day activities of the Association including fixed asset management, space allocation, systems, record security and management, and budget control.
• Provide oversight of all human resource-related functions, including hiring, supervision, evaluations, rewards and discipline.
• A strategist capable of implementing long and short term goals. Proven ability to lead through influence, flexibility and diplomacy.
• Conducts organizational assessments to establish and execute a workplace that promotes a professional and effective association. This includes maintaining a positive work environment and nurturing staff development.
• Provide and direct outreach to all counties in order to maximize Association membership and visibility.
• Explore potential new Association services and revenue-earning opportunities.
• Develop and direct the maintenance of data and research critical to counties’ interests.
• Lobby and implement Legislative Policy Program with the legislature, state agencies, and Association legislative committees and communicating outcomes with membership.
• Continually meet, confer, negotiate and work with the State Legislature, the Governor, staff aides and state agencies to implement county policy.
This job description is a summary of typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
The Executive Director is responsible to the Kansas Association of Counties Board of Directors as a whole. Travel Approximately 25% of time, primarily within the state. Compensation $120,000 - $130,000 DOQ, plus benefits.
Preferred Education and Experience 1. Master’s Degree in Public Administration or related field, or other professional degree 2. Seven years of related experience 3. Experience working directly with county officials 4. Experience in advocacy and lobbying Applications deadline and procedures
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to LEAPS-KAC@lkm.org or LEAPS-KAC, 300 SW 8th, Suite 100, Topeka, KS 66603. If confidentiality is requested, please note in application materials. Position will remain open until filled. Application review will begin May 8. EOE.