In countless communities across the nation, abuse of prescription drugs and heroin has reached epidemic levels, leading to unprecedented rates of drug overdoses and related fatalities. As this public health crisis has unfolded, local leaders are formulating effective responses. Much progress has been made on this front, but much work remains to be done. During this audience-focused town hall, NACo members will discuss local stories, successes and challenges with an expert panel that includes several members of the National City-County Task Force on the Opioid Epidemic. Attendees are encouraged to review the Task Force’s report and recommendations, A Prescription for Action, available at www.opioidaction.org, prior to the meeting, and all NACo members are invited to submit questions for this townhall before the event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- County Executive Kathy Dahlkemper, Erie County, Pennsylvania (moderator)
- Judge Gary Moore, Boone County, Kentucky (co-chair of national city-county opioid task force)
- Board Chair Phyllis Randall, Loudoun County, Virginia
- Mayor Steve Williams, Huntington, West Virginia
- Dr. Richard Jorgensen, Coroner, DuPage County, Illinois
- Asst. Police Chief Russ Hamill, Montgomery County, Maryland
- Dr. Christopher Jones, Acting Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary, Science and Data Policy, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services