Through the Labor Day holiday, Senators and Representatives will be back in their home districts enjoying the August recess. This break provides a unique opportunity for county officials to engage with their national representatives right at home, drawing their focus to critical local issues before they head back to Washington. To help county officials more effectively lobby their national representatives on these pressing problems, NACo has released the 2019 Summer Advocacy Toolkit.
The Toolkit provides background information, talking points, and action items on key issues, including:
- Supporting the Restore the Partnership Act
- Amending the Medicaid Inmate Exclusion Policy
- Long Term Reauthorization of The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program
- Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) Payments
- Payments In Lieu Of Taxes (PILT)
- The Secure Rural Schools (SRS) Program
- County Priorities in Federal Infrastructure Packages
- Improving the accuracy of Broadband Mapping Data
- Reauthorization of The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- County Interests in Waters of The U.S. (WOTUS) Regulations
Additionally, the Toolkit provides tips for engaging with members of Congress as well as the media. These NACo-exclusive resources are designed to help county officials most effectively discuss these pressing federal issues.
NACo strongly recommends county representatives take advantage to the time members of Congress spend in their home districts. Effectively conveying the importance of county issues during the recess is critical to the remainder of the year. If you have not already reached out to your member of Congress’ office(s) to schedule a time to meet, we encourage you to do so.