Nez Perce County, Idaho
Designed by: Dorothy Gibson
Introduced in: 1956
Though the Legislature had authorized Idaho counties to use official seals 40 years earlier, Nez Perce County was the first to do so, in 1956. Dorothy Gibson, a member of the committee appointed to design the county seal, came up with the design.
The arrowhead represents the native Nez Perce Tribe and the banner wrapped around it is inscribed with a Nez Perce phrase, which when translated reads “In our hearts we truly believe.”
A sheaf of wheat and a pine tree flanking the arrowhead represent the county’s primary industries in 1956. The confluence of the Clearwater and Snake rivers is shown on the overlay of Nez Perce County, with the star indicating Lewiston as “Idaho’s only seaport.” Lewis and Clark, below the arrowhead, acknowledge the explorers’ travels through the area in 1805.