Between now and the end of the year, federal lawmakers will be back in their home districts and states more days than they are in Washington, D.C. These district or state work periods, particularly the one occurring in August, provide county officials with a unique opportunity to visit with members of Congress and showcase your county.
To assist you in making the most of this opportunity, NACo has prepared a toolkit that provides updated information on some of the most pressing federal legislative and regulatory issues facing the nation’s counties. It also contains helpful tips for communicating with members of Congress and the media. If you do not already have plans to meet with your senators and representative(s) while they are home, we encourage you to reach out to their offices and request meetings.
Issues addressed in the toolkit include:
- Protect the tax-exempt status of municipal bonds
- Support the Marketplace Fairness Act
- Achieve mental health reform
- Improve health services for justice-involved individuals (ease Medicaid inmate exclusion)
- Support Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILT)
- Support Secure Rural Schools (SRS) revenue sharing payments to forest counties
- Withdraw “Waters of the U.S.” rule