NACo’s Healthy Counties Initiative aims to enhance public/private partnerships in local health delivery, improve individual and community health, and assist counties to effectively implement federal health reform. The initiative engages county officials and private sector partners across the country to:
- Take a leadership role in implementing health reform at the county level;
- Enhance coverage, access to and coordination of health care for vulnerable populations in the community, including health services in hospitals, community health centers and county jails, while focusing on cost-containment strategies;
- Promote community public health, prevention and wellness programs, including increased physical activity and healthy eating;
- Participate in the national transition to health information technology and telemedicine; and
- Offer information, ideas and solutions for county government employee and retiree health benefits and programs.
NACo’s Healthy Counties Initiative supports innovative public-private partnerships within the many areas of health that counties are involved with and highlights county health best practices enhanced through collaboration with the private sector.
Healthy Counties Advisory Board
NACo’s Healthy Counties Initiative is guided by the Healthy Counties Advisory Board, which is comprised of county officials and staff who are health leaders at NACo and corporate partners. The public/private Healthy Counties Advisory Board assists NACo in identifying the priorities and activities of the Healthy Counties Initiative and provides input and expertise on program implementation.