Written by Emmanuelle St. Jean, NACo Program Manager.
Did you know that within 18 months of launching a new initiative, Summit County, Ohio achieved the following?
- A consistent reduction in costs in excess of 25 percent over the course of one year;
- No amputations because of diabetes,
- An estimated program savings of $3,185 per person per year;
- Increased reports of participant exercise and flexibility; and
- More than half of the participants lost weight, decreased their body mass index, and reduced their waist size
How did Summit County do it? Come to the 2014 Healthy Counties Forum in San Diego County to find out!
On January 30-31, 2014, county officials and staff from around the country will be gathering for a 1.5 day forum in San Diego County to discuss Accountable Care Communities (ACCs), the initiative Summit County implemented to achieve its results. An ACC goes beyond the bricks and mortars of hospitals and health clinics and incorporates all facets of the community to leverage existing county resources. By building a broad-based coalition that includes county agencies, health care, faith communities, community organizations, businesses, schools, transportation, and housing, a county is able to fulfill its vision of a healthier community. During the forum counties will hear from counties that have implemented ACCs to improve health outcomes, achieve better care, and reduce costs.
Topics to be discussed include:
- The Criminal Justice System as Your Partner
- Transforming Rural Counties into ACCs
- Strategies for Serving those with Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders
- Employee Wellness
- Multi-sector partnerships
More information can be found here. The registration deadline is January 3, 2014. NACo will cover the stay for up to 2 county participants per NACo member county on a first come, first served basis. If you have any questions, please contact Emmanuelle St. Jean, Health Program Manager, at 202-942-4267 or email@example.com.
This is not a forum you want to miss!