Formed in 1742 from Hanover County, Louisa County was named for Princess Louisa, daughter of King George II and Queen Caroline of England, and wife of King Frederick V of Denmark.
Its central Virginia location put it squarely in the path of Revolutionary and Civil War action and other historical events. It was from Cuckoo Tavern in Louisa County that on June 3, 1781, Jack Jouett rode through the night to Charlottesville and Monticello warning Gov. Thomas Jefferson and the Virginia assemblymen of the approaching British army. The Battle of Trevilian Station, the largest cavalry battle of the war, was fought in western Louisa County.
The seal shows Princess Louisa holding white flowers in a blue dress, which was period color and attire. The gold geographical representation of the county with the green background were the county high school colors at the time of design and adoption. At one time, Louisa County was known as the "Sun-Cured Tobacco Capital" of the world, which is signified by the tobacco on the right. The dogwood flower on the left is also the official state flower. Always primarily agricultural, the county still has many lovely homes from the 18th and 19th centuries.