NACo to Hold National Conference Call Today at 6:00pm EST
Urgent Action Needed on PILT
County officials should immediately contact both their Senators and House Members and urge swift Congressional action to secure full mandatory funding for the Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) program – either in the FY2014 Omnibus Appropriations Bill or another legislative vehicle.
- If your Senator or House Member serves in leadership, it is especially critical that you reach out to them today and tomorrow!
This morning news media began reporting that Congress has failed to deliver funding for the Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) program in the FY2014 Omnibus spending bill.
- Click here to read an article from this morning’s POLITICO.
We are deeply concerned that Congress would turn its back on more than 1,850 counties impacted by the presence of the federal government’s extensive holdings of public land.
Since October, counties have in good faith delivered vital county services to our citizens and visitors with the expectation that the federal government would honor its thirty-seven year commitment to county governments who are unable to collect property taxes on the 600+ million acre federal estate. Through the federal government shutdown and despite the uncertainty in the federal budget, counties have been open for business.
Without annual PILT payments, many counties will have no option but to severely reduce or eliminate critical county services to the public, including fire and EMS services, search and rescue, public health, law enforcement and justice operations. In many cases, counties will face even more serious consequences including insolvency, default, and bankruptcy.
NACo will be holding an important national conference call TODAY, January 13 at 6:00 p.m. EASTERN to discuss recent developments and actions counties can take to help.
- Conference Call Date and Time: Monday, January 13, 2014 at 6:00pm EST
- Conference Call Number: 719.955.0562
- Passcode: 696528
Background on PILT
The PILT program provides payments to counties and other local governments to offset losses in tax revenues due to the presence of tax-exempt federal land in their jurisdictions. Counties with federal land in their jurisdictions often provide vital services on those lands, such as solid waste management, search and rescue and emergency medical services. Any delay or reduction of PILT dollars will disrupt county operations. Counties nationwide request swift passage of legislation to extend mandatory PILT funding for FY2014 and beyond.
Resources on PILT
- To view a letter from over 750 counties, commissioners, and state associations of counties to Congress on PILT, click here
- To view a letter from NACo and the Western Governors' Association urging funding for FY2014 PILT funding, click here
- To view NACo's recently released presentation on PILT, click here
- To view NACo's policy brief on PILT, click here
- To view an article on PILT from the Albuquerque Journal, click here
- To view a Washington Post article on PILT, click here
- To view a Casper Star Tribune article on PILT, click here
- To view a Mancos Times article on PILT, click here
- To view a Buffalo Bulletin article, click here
If you have any questions or comments, please contact
NACo Associate Legislative Director Ryan Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.942.4207