FY2014 Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) Payments in Jeopardy
The National Association of Counties (NACo) today delivered a letter to House and Senate appropriators signed by more than 750 county officials and 15 state associations of counties urging them to fully support the Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) program for FY14. Currently, the House and Senate Appropriations Committees are working to finalize a final Fiscal Year (FY) 2014 spending measure. Counties are hopeful that the final measure will include full appropriations for the Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) program.
PILT is currently authorized at $425 million for fiscal year 2014 to help offset losses to local governments from the presence of non-taxable federal lands through direct payments to counties and other local governments. Counties with federal land in their jurisdictions often provide vital services on those lands, such as solid waste management, search and rescue and emergency medical services. A fully funded PILT program helps to offset the loss of these important revenues and fulfill the federal governments’ obligation to local communities with large amounts of federal land.
Resources on PILT
- To view a letter from NACo and the Western Governors' Association urging funding for FY2014 PILT funding, click here
- To view NACo's recently released presentation on PILT, click here
- To view NACo's policy brief on PILT, click here
- To view an article on PILT from the Albuquerque Journal, click here
- To view a Washington Post article on PILT, click here
- To view a Casper Star Tribune article on PILT, click here
- To view a Mancos Times article on PILT, click here
- To view a Buffalo Bulletin article, click here
If you have any questions or comments, please contact NACo Associate Legislative Director Ryan Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.942.4207