NACo Officers, County Officials
- NACo Second Vice President Mary Ann Borgeson spoke to members of the Association of Minnesota Counties at their Annual Conference Dec. 3–4 in Stearns County (St. Cloud), Minn.
- Fred Wong has joined the Public Affairs Department as communications director. Wong will supervise the digital team and lead NACo’s media relations and messaging efforts. Prior to joining NACo, he held several communications and public engagement roles in the Obama administration – the White House, USAID, HHS and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- Scott Whitfield is the Financial Services Center’s new regional development manager. Whitfield will be responsible for managing national regional sales development, implementing new marketing initiatives, pursuing legislative needs and increasing revenue. Prior to joining NACo, he held several marketing positions with LP Building Products, Honeywell and Time Warner Cable.
- Vernon Smith will join the Counties Solutions and Innovation Department as senior associate for justice. Smith will manage the day-to-day quality, conduct and completion of project deliverables and ongoing relations with foundation partners, other NACo departments and members. Prior to joining NACo, he served as program analyst for the U.S. Department of Education.
- Tracy Steffek will also join Counties Solutions and Innovation as a program manager for human services. Steffek will assume project management responsibility for assisting in the development and implementation of an early childhood development project. Prior to joining NACo, Tracy worked for the Fairfax County Government as a service integration and planning management analyst.
- Nastassia Walsh, program manager, presented the Stepping Up project at the Institute for Behavioral Healthcare Improvement’s Second Annual Conference in Miami-Dade County, Dec. 3-5.
- Kevan Stone, associate legislative director, was a panelist at the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE)–UAS Integration Seminar in Los Angeles County, Dec. 5-7. A few days earlier he briefed Minnesota county officials on infrastructure funding outlook, tax reform and drones at their annual conference, held Dec. 3–4.
- Jack Peterson, associate legislative director, will brief participants on federal regulations and potential legal issues that could affect counties at the Maryland Association of Counties Winter Conference in Dorchester County (Cambridge), Dec. 6-8.