Kitsap County, Wash.
Created by: Burke Carstens
Introduced in: 1969
The Kitsap Peninsula, across the Elliott Bay from Seattle, was originally part of King and Jefferson counties. Kitsap County was first established in 1857 as Slaughter County, named after a U.S. Army officer killed the previous year. It was a source of lumber for the numerous reconstructions of San Francisco following fires, and the county became a shipping and lumber center.
Voters later changed the name to Kitsap County to honor the Suquamish war chief who was the most powerful chief on the Puget Sound in the first half of the 19th century and head of the largest intertribal coalition that the sound had ever seen.
13 arrows in its left claw signifying its ability to wage war, the number of arrows in reference to the original 13 colonies.
The breast plate sits center of the eagle and in the lower center portion of the seal itself and is divided into two sections.
The eagle on the seal is inspired by local Suquamish tribe artwork, though it was not created by a member of the tribe.Hero 1